Thursday, February 9, 2012

BLESSED CHOICE OF DAVID.

BLESSED CHOICE OF DAVID.
The most important fact in the whole story is that David refused to kill King Saul when he had many golden opportunities. We have no control over how people treat us - what they say or what they do. But we do have control over how we respond. How should we respond when we have been hurt? There are two options, and only two. We can try to get even, or we can do what David did in 
1 Samuel 24. 

DAVID DID NOT SEEK REVENGE BECAUSE HE RESPECTED SAUL'S AUTHORITY.
In verse 8, David called Saul, "My lord the king!" He recognized Saul was still the king no matter what he did or how he did it. As long as Saul was the king, he deserved respect by virtue of his position. In the army you will hear the saying, "You don't salute the man, you salute the rank." The matter is stated in another way in verse 10: "I will not lift my hand against my master, because he is the Lord's anointed." Who chose Saul to be king? God did. Therfore, to attack Saul is to indirectly attack God Himself. If a man is God's anointed - good or bad - he is not to be touched.

DAVID DID NOT SEEK REVENGE BECAUSE HE WAS WILLING TO WAIT FOR GOD.
David's second reason is stated in 1 Samuel 24:11-13 "See, my father, look at this piece of your robe in my hand! I cut off the corner of your robe but did not kill you. Now understand and recognize that I am not guilty of wrongdoing or rebellion. I have not wronged you, but you are hunting me down to take my life. May the Lord judge between you and me. And may the Lord avenge the wrongs you have done to me, but my hand will not touch you. As the old saying goes, ‘From evildoers come evil deeds,’ so my hand will not touch you." There are two interesting facts here: First David was not shy about pointing out the truth. He plainly says Saul had wronged him. David also understood a second fact many of us never grasp: When it comes to revenge, God is much better at it than we are. He know that God was ready, willing and able to take care of him. And in God's timing, Saul would be out of the way and David would ascend to the throne.
We can take great personal comfort in knowing that God will take care of matters when we suffer for doing what is right, God sees , and He remembers. That is a promise you can count on.

...  .... ....  BECAUSE DAVID DID NOT WANT TO DESCEND TO SAUL'S LEVEL.
David was saying , "If I attack him, I am only sinking down to his level." I've heard it said this way: never wrestle with a pig. You're bound to get dirty, and the pig loves it. Moreover, my father,.... So he was in a natural sense, as having married his daughter; and in a civil sense, as he was a king, and was, or ought to have been, the father of his country, and to treat his subjects as his children, and David among the rest: see, the skirt of thy robe in my hand; look on it again and again; view it with the eyes of thy body intently, that thou mayest be satisfied of it, and behold with the eyes of thy mind and understanding, and consider that I could as easily have had thine head in my hand as the skirt of thy robe; and here see an instance and proof of the integrity and sincerity of my heart, and cordial affections to thee, and an evidence against all the charges and accusations of my enemies, and that I have no ill design upon thy person and life, and am far from seeking thy hurt, as they say: for in that I cut off the skirt of thy robe, and killed thee not; not only did that to show that he was in his power, but did not cut off his head, as he could: know thou, and see, that there is neither evil nor transgression in mine hand; this might be a full conviction to him that he had no ill, neither in his heart nor hand, to do unto him: and I have not sinned against thee; done nothing to offend him, never acted against his will, nor disobeyed any of his commands, or had been guilty of one overt act of treason or rebellion, but all the reverse: yet thou huntest my soul to take it; pursued him from place to place, hunted him in the wildernesses of Ziph and Maon, and upon the rocks of Engedi, as a partridge on the mountains,  and lay in wait for him to kill him, as the Targum: he may be thought to have penned the "seventh" psalm at this time, or on this occasion; at least there are some passages in it, which seem to refer to his present circumstances, Psalms 7:1.


You see what happend to king Saul and how was his end. See also how God lifted David though he did many sins he got forgiveness from God. He accepted his sins and pleaded to God for His mercy and pardon; he accepted the authority of God and His anointed people. Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ also came through him. What a blessed life.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going through a circumstance where I have to opportunity to act in vengeance, but I'm glad for the reminder of God's heart on this matter. He longs for us to be like Jesus who, though He was reviled, did not open His mouth.